Friday, July 24, 2009

The Last Post From GOM's House

Boys and girls, as we near the end of the final day here at GOM's house, let us remember that it might be better to follow Tarzan's advice; to die young and leave a beautiful corpse.
Oh yeah, Sesame Street has nothing on me.
Let's spell cranky together, C-R-A...
I had a thoughtful post in the works about what I learned and how the care taking has progressed over the course of this month, but I think instead I will leave you with this morning's escapades. It's so much more indicative of the time spent with Tarzan's grandfather.
I came down this morning shortly after 6am. I have noticed a gradual creeping forward of the time I am required to be up in the morning - I was told 7am was the requirement before we started this gig - but whatever, small concessions right? Now usually GOM beats me to the bathroom where he waits until I can procure a new undershirt and diaper and then we start with the teeth and the socks and the clothes etc. On two occasions he actually slept in until almost 8 and I was at a loss as to what to do for two hours.
But not today. I came down and the bathroom light was on so I figured business as usual.
Not so.
I turned from the bathroom - it was empty - to find GOM sitting in his regular chair, reading a newspaper. With a terrible thought blossoming in my mind I asked:
"Do I want to know where that paper came from?"
His answer; "I couldn't remember what day it was, so I went out to get the paper."
He went out to get the paper.
He went OUT to GET the PAPER!
I couldn't decide if I should shriek for Tarzan or laugh hysterically at the image that quickly supplanted the thought that had been in my brain. (I ended up sputtering incoherently.) This cranky, old, man who has me fetching things all day long, who needs help in nearly every aspect of his limited daily routine, walked out the front door at probably 5am which is getting lighter but is surely not full light yet, down two, TWO, steps, to the end of the walk, picked up the paper and returned, up those same two, TWO!, steps. All with his walker and wearing only his night attire, which consists of less than I wear to bed on a regular basis, and only slightly more than I wear when Tarzan and I are getting it on.
So with that thought burning it's way into your minds, never to be removed, I leave you to the rest of your day.

This is me, say it with me everybody, day twenty-one of twenty-one.

1 comment:

Rocketgirl said...

I know it's not the same, but I'll make a small connection here - today, I saw a woman changing a diaper and it freaked me out. I did it several times daily for 2 years, but now I can't even remember how to do it and it just seemed so out-of-place for me. Has the routine gotten easier over the 21 days?

Also, I think the neighbors must MUST be used to Grandpa's look by now - we C's have a dash of exhibitionist in us anyways :)

From Whence You Cometh