Wednesday, June 03, 2009

Does Not Have My Back...Up

This is likely one of those questions that answers itself; WHY is it, the one time in your life that you don't back up a file three or more times, that is the one time that the whole system fails and you're out of luck? Is it because the other times, when you DO save it elsewhere, the event isn't as memorable? Or is there some algorithm in the universe that states when the back up has not been created, the hard drive must fail?
It would not surprise me.
I'm not usually a fatalist. In fact, I am quite paranoid about things like this happening, so I usually do back up files. Especially large and complicated and detailed ones such as this movie my brother had to do for health class - who wants a multimedia movie for health? - and which I was extremely proud of. (I helped him with the editing.) WHY in the name of all that is holy did I not make a copy for myself? That is the sort of thing I do. That's how I roll, yo. WHY not this time? Because this is the time - after the teacher did a stupida** thing and formatted the disk when it asked him to instead of giving it back to my brother - this is the time that the hard drive develops a mechanical failure and poops out. And this is the time that there was anything on the drive that really mattered and this is the time that it's going to cost $900 to retrieve all the information or he fails the class.
Why is this the one time I didn't give in to the paranoia and just make a back up on my hard drive, or on another DVD or anything else?

This is me, just full of the whining this week.

3 comments:

Elizabeth said...

This is a time when the very Southern phrase "bless your heart" is quite appropriate. I am feeling your pain...that has happened one too many times for me...

RHM said...

yet another reason why people who think they command technology should not be allowed near buttons. Particularlly ones that are red and shiney.

This is not aimed at you but at the teacher.

Keah and Michael O'Hearon said...

uuhmmmmm, not gonna lie, that really stinks! I hope it works out for you/your brother!

From Whence You Cometh