Friday, March 26, 2010

I Think They Should Be Included

I realize St. Patrick's Day was over a week ago, but there are still Irish themed shows on my DVR from that day and one thing I have noticed as I wade through them all; - in the discussions of music and influence especially - where are the Irish Rovers? It seems a blatant oversight that they get no mention.
They are the first group that I knew of that had a folksy, banjo-y sound - remember I was an 80's baby and it was all synthesizer, all the time when I was growing up. It was listening to The Irish Rovers that awakened an interest in my ancestry and in Ireland.
Were they omitted because they were famous only after they moved to Canada? Despite having all been born in Ireland, and immigrating merely to get wider coverage? And yet Michael Flatley gets tons of coverage, interviews and air time and he, he is from Chicago.
That's right boys and girls, the Lord Of The Dance was not born or raised anywhere near the Emerald Isle.
I guess I understand Enya receiving accolades for increasing the awareness of Irish music but what about U2? Bono gets to stick his rock and roll colored glasses in for comments quite often.
And it's not just modern artists either; The Dubliners, The Clancy Brothers and The Chieftains all got mentions and interviews if there was someone left alive or descended from one of the members.
And nothing about the The Irish Rovers. I think it's a royal gyp. I love them and I think they deserve a mention and so here is one of my favorite songs of theirs:


This is me and I feel The Irish Rovers could at least get a mention.

No comments:

From Whence You Cometh