Thursday, November 05, 2009

I Am So Grossed Out Right Now

I have seen some gross things, living in The Jungle as we do, including but not limited to a Jerusalem cricket and I kid you not peeps, those puppies are GIGANTIC. Yes, yes, harmless and helpful and totally not dangerous or even likely to bite you since they are herbivores and enjoy the dark, damp dirt, like earthworms, but seriously, I walked out of the house last weekend - in the DARK - and this:
was hanging out on the back porch. (I was so freaked I didn't even bother to get the camera so I stole all these photos from the Internet.) Do you KNOW how BIG these things are? I haven't seen a bug this large ever except for tarantulas and they were always in aquariums or on TV. But this one was a few inches from my toe. I could have stepped on a bug this big:
That's three INCHES long. Three. Inches.
EW.
But, there was something even worse in my kitchen last night. Papayas were on sale this week so we picked one up to try - never had a fresh one before - and when you cut it open it looks like this:
Like barnacles on a pier, only creepier. And since it was ripe the flesh was very forgiving and once in a while one of those seeds would move or fall out of the rind. Gave me hives to dig the insides out. And the best part - it tastes nasty. I don't know what has been done to the canned ones I've eaten but the fresh one was like soft, juicy, moldy cheese.
Ew, ew, EW!

This is me, and maybe I should stick with cereal and milk.

3 comments:

Rocketgirl said...

EWWW!!!!!!!! One thing I don't miss about the south is all the roaches, blah. But those things???? AAAAKKKKK!!! And strangely, papayas always sound like a good idea until I realize the taste nasty. But the name is so purty, maybe I'm always expecting a mango?

RHM said...

Sometimes, when trying new things, you are not rewarded.

Elizabeth said...

Seriously? That's the inside of a Papaya???? BLECH!!!

Girl, go get you some good yummy something or other...whatever comes to mind when you think of the word 'yummy'. :)

From Whence You Cometh