Monday, December 22, 2008

Last Time, I Promise

Believe me when I say I get the need for new Christmas music. There are only so many ways "Jingle Bells" can be played. Speed it up or down, add a saxophone or dogs, you get it. So I wholly support alternative Christmas music on the radio. I do. Groups like Mannheim Steamroller have made their name from doing alternative Christmas carols. And every once in a while a new song comes out that makes an impact in the fairly traditional repertoire that is holiday music. Consider, "Believe" done by Josh Groban.
But I don't think the song Faith Hill has out right now, "A Baby Changes Everything," is the next big thing. And not because I don't like Faith Hill, because I do. No, the song sits uneasily with me because:
Mary knew.
Joseph knew.
Heck, even Mary's cousin, Elizabeth knew. And they knew months in advance. It wasn't as if Mary went nine long months and then the night Jesus is born she and Joseph figure it out.
But it's the line about Mary losing Joseph's trust that bugs me the most. If the Bible account can be believed, both parties went into this arrangement with their eyes open. An angel appeared to each them, individually, to ask if they would accept being Jesus' earthly parents. This was not some random selection or luck-of-the-draw. Mary, and her fiance Joseph were chosen specifically and carefully. Mary wasn't alone, she wasn't shunned, and she had an idea of what was being asked of her.
So, Faith Hill does a lovely job with the tune, it's well written and orchestrated and the gospel choir is a nice touch. Evokes a lot of feeling, which was the intent I am sure. Also makes a lot of listeners identify with the mother in the song. But I can't really adhere to it. It leaves out the whole divinity of the event. And that's what makes Christmas special.

This is me, with my last musical criticism of the year.

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

Very well written critique! Ever thought of becoming a music critic professionally? :)

From Whence You Cometh