Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Footwork

I realize not everyone who reads this - all four of them - is into Dancing With The Stars like I am. I'm not sure anyone is into DWTS like I am...well the filipinos4hough may be but they're crazy. Truth be told, I am NOT a fan of reality TV. Once I found out Survivor was orchestrated with challenges and games and not just a bunch of yuppies dumped in the jungle to fend for themselves I was quite turned off. And there hasn't been a single show to catch my interest since. Except DWTS. Maybe because there are professionals involved...(Skating With The Stars had professionals too but that did not turn out to be a good show) Maybe the hosts...(Tom is excellent, Sam not so much) Certainly not the judges. (Len Goodman I can respect the other two think they're still 15 and it shows.) I suspect it's because I love to dance. Not in any professional or competitive way certainly, just for fun. Tarzan and I danced on the USC Ballroom Dance Team and we still trip the light fantastic once in a while. It's a classy exercise, fun, romantic and relatively easy. Not to say the celebrities don't work hard, they do, but it's less political than most of the other reality shows out there. No backbiting, no gossiping, the contestants don't vote against each other...it's civilized. It's funny, charming, all the qualities that I find endearing in entertainment. It's true. I may have been a little cynical the last time but I take it back. After last night I think Season 6 will be okay. Only the men danced because of timing - they had to show the first meeting footage and everything; the ladies will dance tonight - so I apologize for two in a row. The pictures of Q's weekend in town will come, I promise.
THE MEN:
Hallelujah brother!! Thank you Fates! The planets have aligned and something is right with the world again - Julianne is going to have a hard time pulling a championship out of this one. Adam Carolla was funnier than I expected him to be - I was amused more than I expected to be perhaps - but the man did not dance well. It will be sweet if they are voted off the first week. I daren't say more or it might jinx the whole thing...He and Penn Jillette talked a LOT more than any other celebrity has before, interrupting the judges and Sam several times - little bit funny, little bit annoying.
Speaking of Penn, he does not suck, but Kym has her work cut out for her too. The man is very tall and broad. Also funny and very self depreciating. I don't know if he has enough fans to go far though.
Steve Guttenberg was cute and it was fun to learn that he was in Mary Poppins, the movie. He'll stick around for a while but I don't think he will win it.
Cheryl will do well with Christian de la Fuente I think. He's got potential and he may have the fan base needed to pull in the votes.
Bless me, did Edyta really draw a decent partner this time? I truly hope so. She deserves it. Jason Taylor may play football but he had rhythm, rise and fall, he was elegant - it was beautiful to watch. I hope he can pull it out for the Latin dances too. Based on 1/2 a show I say they are the best talent. The only problem I see is that it's mostly men who know who that he's a tight end on the Miami Dolphins. Of course Jerry Rice and Emmit Smith did really well. Maybe there's something to that joke about football players and ballet...
Karina and Mario (no last name, just Mario) will be the biggest threat to Edyta's chance at a trophy. His fans are girls, he's young and he can dance.
This could get good.

This is me, talking 'bout some dancing.

2 comments:

Rocketgirl said...

I love that you post about DWTS since I don't watch, but I love to know what's what:) Hey, I'm too lazy to find olut, but who is the short slightly geeky looking celeb girl? I saw a glimpse of her on some news show and I want to know what celeb is she? I couldn't figure out if the guy she was dancing with was the celeb, but then it occured to me she wasn't exactly like the other professional dancers... deets, please!

Lola said...

So, we don't have TV and therefore I don't follow shows, reality or otherwise, but I can't say I blame you for watching DWTS. I'm a sucker for dancing myself. I have been known, in fact, to rent those lame teen dancer movies and fast forward through everything but the dance scenes. Hold you head up proud, dear Jane.

From Whence You Cometh