Thursday, May 31, 2007

...And We're Gone Again

I know what you're thinking and if the planets had aligned and the moon was in the third phase of Jupiter than it would have worked out that while I was in Middleton two weeks ago my entire family could have been there as well for the blessing (LDS ordinance of formally giving a newborn a name - like christening in a way...though not as heavy) for my niece BabyR and we could have killed two eagles with one jet engine if you will. Alas, it was not to be. So here we are packing to take a second trip to Middleton in as many weeks. A road trip this time. Why drive you ask? The gas will be as expensive as the plane tickets would have been and goodness knows the grandparents would do better with more time with the kids and less wear and tear. The answer is: I don't know. I have inquired but no response is forthcoming. So we drive. 12 hours. To spend a bit of an evening, a whole day and then another 12 hour drive. 12 hours. Yay. And because I'm nervous (about what I don't know - it's Tarzan, my parents and my two youngest brothers - nothing big here Jane ol' girl) I have purchased all the road trip food in the greater Jungle area. I've got Granola bars, fruit roll-ups, string cheese, apples, water, juice boxes, crackers, nuts, Twizzlers...Oh the Twizzlers!! There's enough food to satisfy an entire Scout Troop.
(I am just the tiniest bit obsessive compulsive I think. I ALSO think I'm a compulsive liar. Not in private conversations of course, not with friends and family, but in public. While shopping for all this road trip junk food the clerk looked at me kinda funny and said, "That's a lot of sugar." Rather than tell her the real reason, or ignore the comment I felt the need to excuse myself and I said "Big party." There's no big party. Similar thing a few months ago; I was buying a number of frozen pizzas to restock the freezer: the clerk commented "You bought a lot of pizza, is that all you eat?" Not that it's any of her business if that IS all I eat, but rather than just laugh it off, I told her, "Kids." I don't have kids. A few months before that I bought a large quantity of items at one store and the lady behind me commented on the bill. I told her it was because I only shop once a month. That is absolutely not true. There are weeks I'm at the store every day. Why do I say untrue things? Is it to make the conversation stop? Do I not want to talk to other people? Is it because I don't want these people who I have never seen before and will never see again to think well of me? Is it something about retail environments? Maybe I'm just lie compulsively in the grocery store...)
In other news - I joined Facebook and Tobey's right: it IS totally addictive! All these friends from elementary school and across the globe. One girl's in CHINA right now. Lots of kids for those people who I still think of as kids. Plus it's so easy to post pictures and share and label and send and and and...

This is me addicted to the Internet.

No comments:

From Whence You Cometh