Thursday, May 03, 2007

Hip...hip...hippopotamus!

What is with people? I'm driving to work this morning, listening to Theme Thursday with Shawn Parr on KKGO 105.1 (which used to be a classical station - where has From The Top gone? I miss Chris O'Reilly) and humming along with "I'm Gonna Get A Wino To Decorate Our House" (how can you not love country music? really?) when an oft heard sound comes shrieking from behind along with the flashing lights. Sure enough, a fire truck, so I signal and move to the right against the curb, slow down and stop. The guy behind me honks profusely, screeches out around me and takes off, cutting in front of the fire truck, who also honks, albeit briefly, swerves to the left and has to slam on the brakes because there is a chick walking across the street, against the red light, talking on her cell phone. What's my deal that's just typical LA you say. But I have lived here for nearly 12 years, and it never ceases to amaze me. (No, this was not the first time such things have happened. Or even the only time today. About five minutes later we repeated the scene, nearly the same actions, different players when the paramedics went flying by.) Are people that oblivious? That rude? That self centered? Apparently.
I couldn't help but wonder how these people would behave if it was their emergency the crews were rushing too. They likely would be freaking out, cursing, threatening bodily harm with any nearby implement to anyone who stood in the way of the fire truck/ambulance/police car that was coming to help them. Yet because they are in a hurry, the paramedics can wait and tough luck little old lady with a heart attack...Say it with me now, boys and girls, hyp...hyp...hypocrisy.
Tarzan wishes I wouldn't comment on people's actions when we drive and I try to not say anything, I really do. I also know it's actually more rude to tell someone they are rude than for them to be rude in the first place, but how are they ever going to learn if they aren't told? It's quite obvious their parents didn't teach them anything. And beyond the urgency emitted from a emergency vehicle and the courtesy of doing so it's also the law to move out of their way - isn't it? Not that the law bothers most people under normal circumstances I suspect. Goodness knows actually stopping at a stop sign is an invitation to get yelled at and flipped off. Waiting for the green arrow to turn left is just asking to have someone scoot up your left side and cut off the oncoming traffic, and heaven forbid one should actually use a signal when changing lanes! (I am totally not a goodie-goodie here, I obey all the traffic laws...except the speed limit. I drive as fast as I am safely able to, darn the posted limit. Fortunately the CHP are an infinitely logical group and realize that I do drive safely and in no way a reckless manner even if I am doing 92 in a 75 zone. I cannot say the same for other states.)

Trivia Time!
Q: What is the only vehicle besides fire trucks, police cars and ambulances that are legally able to run through a red light?
A: Mail carriers!! (Neither rain, nor snow, nor sleet or hail (or apparently congested traffic) shall keep the mail from it's appointed rounds)

This is me driving too fast, but I pull over for emergency vehicles.

1 comment:

Rocketgirl said...

THEY CANCELLED THE GILMORE GIRLS!!!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

From Whence You Cometh