Friday, May 04, 2007

Maybe It's Best?

I hate to say it because I have been a huge fan and have watched all seven seasons, but maybe it's for the best that Gilmore Girls is ending. Don't shoot! I hate to see it go, if it could go on like the first six seasons went on. Amy Sherman-Palladino had a fantastic idea and if she wasn't writing it then whoever was did a fabulous job. The dialogue was snappy and fast, the characters strong, fragile and utterly believable all at once. It was quality TV. And then came the leaving of the Palladinos at the end of the sixth season and while the show has been close to it's original brilliance something has been a tiny bit off. Maybe I was looking too hard to see if things were different...The reduction in the number of words each actress speaks in an episode was the first thing I noticed. The rapid fire, almost manic, dialogue was totally unique to the show. I loved knowing that the script for each episode was three times the length of a "normal" hour long script because of all the words that had to be said. It wasn't sappy, or sloppy, or soap opera-y with everyone sleeping with everyone else. It was dramatic but not full of drama. (See the difference?)

I love Lorelei but I couldn't get on board with the marrying Chris thing and the divorce was so not in line with her character (IMHO). The needy, desire to be in a stable relationship didn't jive with her hard won Independence. I got into Rory and her deals with school and boys. I didn't like her return to Dean (Jess was SO cute) especially when he was married (and there was nothing wrong with Lindsey) but I love Logan. Good mix of uncertainty and confidence in her character. I absolutely adore Luke (did we really need April?). I tolerated Christopher (when did he start acting all responsible?). It was a love/hate relationship with Emily (sometimes she's so right and then screws it up), and I totally sympathized with Lane.

It do seem official though. For stories about the finale go here:

I bought all the seasons (even the slightly less glorious sixth), that's how much I like the show. Maybe it's for the best that it go out on a high note, while we all still like it and not wait until it gets old and tired? (Golden Gilmore Girls anyone?)

This is me sorry...and yet not all at the same time.

No comments:

From Whence You Cometh