Thursday, March 24, 2011

Well Paved

I was so excited to come home today and post the pictures of the blossoms on our berry vine in the back yard. We think it's a blackberry vine - we got it from Tarzan's grandfather's house, two years ago, when we were staying with him - we think so because it spent the first year growing and this year blossoming. We were really hoping for some fruit. All signs pointed to yes, especially when I thought I saw some white where the leaves and stem meet. I was all set to take my pictures, the weather was great today, good light and I was ready.
This is what I saw when I pulled into the back yard:
Guess where the blackberries are:
Oh yes, but not just buried under that, no.
No, uprooted and then tossed in with the rest of the debris from the yard.
Our neighbor, who has only the best of intentions, cleared out all the weeds and plants from our back yard. As he has done many times in the last eight years. We give him our recycling and he cleans the yard. It has been a nice arrangement.
And I suppose it is a little bit my fault for not putting up a fence, a sign, cleaning my own dang weeds.
He cut down my blackberry vines.
The rain this spring had provided a great beginning. It's sad for me that this is as far as it will go:
Here are the blossoms I was so happy to see:
Unless there's a miracle and next year we get some growth from the roots that might or might not still be in the ground and the year after THAT we might see some blossoms again, we'll never know if these really were blackberries or not.
We're going to try and sprout these twigs but I don't know how far it will get. Do vines sprout like other clippings? Does this count as a clipping?

This is me and I'm so let down.

1 comment:

Master P said...

Oh no! It IS a miracle then!! And what on earth does he do with the recycling?

From Whence You Cometh