Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Flora

The rain and flowers mentioned a post or so ago got me to thinking and during a lull in the activities yesterday, my mom, my sister and I got out the wildflower books and started identifying some of the indigenous species from the back yard. It was quite exciting to open the book and actually find the plant we were looking for. The first one - the one that started the whole exercise - is this Arizona Lupine (Lupinus Arizonicus):It intrigued me because the horses wouldn't eat it - they eat EVERYthing else, including my mother's avocado tree that she started from a seed - and I hadn't seen this flower before this year. Now there are entire swaths of it along the road:After finding and identifying the purple one we got a little carried away with all the flowers in the backyard.
The Fremont Pincushion (Chaenactis Fremontii) grows in large clumps. It's reminiscent of a lawn in parts:This is the Brown-Eyed Primrose (Cammisonia Claviformis) and can be yellow or white, though we seem to only grow the white ones:In fact, most of the flowers that we get are of the yellow or white variety. Other than the aforementioned Lupine - which is brand new to us this year - this Sand Verbena (Abronia Villosa) is the only purple flower we see:We aren't exactly sure what genus and species of the Boraginaceae family this plant belongs to but it is one of the cutest little plants: Our greatest crop is the Desert Dandelion (Malcothrix Glabrata) but we think there are some Desert Marigold (Baileya Multiradiata) mixed in with them:There is a lot of this African Mustard (Malcomia Africana) around:A LOT of it. When the pod dries up and the seeds fall out they look like this:They're pretty small and an interesting color. We aren't sure if we want to spend the effort to create homemade african mustard this year or not.


This is me knowing something cool.

4 comments:

Liezel said...

I love this post! You are a horticulturist at heart!! I am hoping my tummy settles soon so we can go hunting wildflowers in the canyons here. I have my native flora of Colorado book and magnifying glass and tweezers and all! Thanks for sharing!

RHM said...

And then this runs through my head, "I took a train to another state. The flora and fauna were really great...I saw some bandits chasing a train and I was wishing I was back home again...."

Ah, the nightmares of having done a musical.

Elizabeth said...

So...I am looking at my list of blogs and realize that I haven't been to your blog in a fairly long time...it's nearly halfway through April and yet this month has yet to be graced with a post from you! Hope you are well!

Master P said...

You sound like Liezel!! Honestly, you could stick this post on her blog and I'd never know the difference! It's all beautiful, thanks for sharing!

From Whence You Cometh