Monday, March 14, 2011

Modesty

Is it all people or just the people I know who are modest about their talents?
No, more than modest. Modest is when you smile and thank the person for the compliment and move on.
This goes way beyond that.
Tarzan played the organ for Stake Conference yesterday and I was so proud. I'm always proud when he plays for something. I hang out near him every Sunday when he's doing prelude just so I can say, "I'm with him."
But to talk to Tarzan, it wasn't anything at all and he's rather I didn't mention it or even look at him while he's playing.
"It got done and I didn't mess up," is usually the best I can get.
Is that usual from people with musical talent? (Or any talent.) Is there such a performance anxiety about playing live music that it outweighs the star power of everyone envying you?
I have had a lot of people tell me they like Tarzan's playing, or how our home must be filled with music because he's so talented and how lucky I am to have him.
It's true - I am lucky to have him - but the house is not filled with music from his hands because he claims to not like the piano and only plays at church when it's necessary.
Is there a syndrome that describes individuals who don't think what they do is awesome...or is my husband just weird?


This is me and I want to be with the band.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Quinn is the same way with the piano. Although he is VERY talented he rarely plays it at home and only when it's necessary at church. He says he doesn't enjoy playing it anymore. Go figure.

From Whence You Cometh