Sunday, December 05, 2010

What's For Dinner?

Why is it so hard to think up food to feed people for dinner?
Every week I sit down with Tarzan and ATL and ask them what they want for dinner. If it was up to me, we might eat cereal a lot of nights, but that bugs Tarzan so I try to give him real food. But it is a real drag to have to come up with the ideas. Why is that?
It's not the making that annoys me - because I will literally make anything they ask for if I can find the ingredients, which is also not a problem since I love to shop and that includes grocery shop. We plan a week at a time and I search the local circulars for the best deals, it's kind of cool - for me it's the thinking up of the meals. It's not like we are picky eaters and we sure don't choose exotic and bizarre things. In fact, just as I would be fine with cereal each night, ATL would be fine with pasta and red sauce every day.
Why can I not decide we're going to eat baked potatoes, tacos and spaghetti with meatballs this week, just like we did last week? Tarzan and ATL sure don't mind. I don't mind really...I just hate to have to think it all up.
What does that mean about the next ten years?

This is me and I begin to understand my mother so much better now.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Idea #1
If it's Tuesday, it must be spaghetti. Or in other words, repertory-theatre menus that repeat on particular days of the weeks, maybe ala variations.
Idea #2
Left-over Magic.
It's fun to discover our inner magician. And, the range of turkey left-overs is amazing. Besides, I never tire of "turkey dinner" in winter.

Rocketgirl said...

SAME. THING. Sabrina used to do meals by month. I could have taco every night, so what is this compulsion to up my game, especially when experimentation is NOT my forte.

From Whence You Cometh