Saturday, February 12, 2011

Behind Door #3...A New Car!

In the past couple of weeks my trusty Saturn has developed some transmission issues. As in it no longer likes reverse - at all - and shifting from 2nd to 1st gear requires some serious negotiations with the engine. (It's an automatic transmission.) I took it to our mechanic and he said it wasn't worth the time and money to fix/replace the sensors and parts and possibly the whole transmission complete. He would if we wanted but his suggestion was to get a different car.
Tarzan, not one to bemoan material possessions, immediately started looking at slightly used vehicles in our area.
I was a little bit sad; I've driven this car for nearly four years, we've been through a lot. My quitting my job, working at the high school, volunteering, parents moving three times, transporting A LOT of kids to church and school activities, taking cats to and from the veterinarian. We knew each other very well.
And then Tarzan found a sweet little car which we'd always talked about wanting but never had the nerve to buy because it's not as practical as our other cars and we feel guilty getting anything flashy. But the price was good, the dealer was down the road and it had really low miles.
We went, we looked, we drove, we paid, we brought it home.
So I went from this:Which was very dependable, had FANTASTIC gas mileage, but didn't have a lot of flair. Manual locks and windows and it was small, which mattered not to me but bothered Tarzan a little bit. It had an itty bitty motor with not much power.
Driving up hills was a job that had to be planned well in advance.
I went from that to this:
My dream since moving here to The Jungle has been to drive a convertible. They're very much 'the thing' here because of the fabulous weather all year and I have been just the slightest bit envious of the top down driving I see. I fully expect to love this car. There are some serious luxury items in this 2004 Chrysler Sebring; the heated seats for one. NEVER expected that. All I was hoping for was power windows and door locks - which it does have. It's standard on all Chrysler's I believe - but since we've never owned one we didn't know - to have the estimated mileage for each tank of gas, the estimated miles before refueling is required, average miles per gallon and length of time the engine has been on. All very snazzy.
I'm going to need to invest in some hats or scarves or something to keep my hair out of my face and it only seats four - instead of the standard five - but I think I'll be okay with that.
I've been hit on once already and I haven't owned it for 12 hours yet.

This is me, and my groovy new car.

4 comments:

Cath said...

Sweet car! Congratulations!

Phat Fiddle said...

You both have good taste. Yums...

RHM said...

You're going to look AWESOME when you're around the Library areas. particularlly down by the waterside.

So jealous.

Anonymous said...

& you'll have
Fun! Fun! Fun!
'til ur daddy takes
the Sebring awaaayyy.
...oops, NOT!!
This baby is all YOURS!
Have tons of fun under the SoCal sun.

From Whence You Cometh