Friday, February 05, 2010

That Parade Passed Me By

Can someone please explain teen angst to me? Not what it is - I've seen it enacted a ridiculous amount lately - but why it is. I was a teenager once; I dated boys and I fancied myself in love with these boys. But I never expected to be with any of them forever. I didn't sink into depression when we broke up nor did I want to skip out on my college acceptance so we wouldn't have to be separated. I never stalked a guy - well not really - and I NEVER beat up another girl over some dude.
Was that abnormal? I'm wondering if I somehow missed a vital part of growing up because I never felt the need to perform a "cleansing" of my apartment when a boy turned out to not be everything I wanted. If television, music, magazines and movies are to be believed - I know, no one with brains thinks any of that should be believed, but some people DO - than every relationship is the only possible hope for mankind and when it ends we should go out and slit our wrists. At sixteen. Or even twenty-five. Oh no, teen angst does not stop with the teenagers. What IS that? It can't just be that sex changes everything because in a lot of cases there is no sex. Like on Gilmore Girls - Rory is hung up over EVERY boy that she's ever dated and she doesn't sleep with any of them until the first one gets married. Not that the character is the end and be all of examples but it's one I'm familiar with. I could cite chicks from all the sitcoms, most movies and songs too.
What is the deal?

This is me and I just don't get it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

From Whence You Cometh