Monday, February 22, 2010

Didn't Buy Us Dinner First

I suppose it was inevitable, living in the Jungle as we do, where we do, but we've been living here eight years and nothing has ever happened. I suppose we got a little complacent? Here's what happened.
I went out this morning to run some errands, came home around 1:30pm. Tarzan came home at 4:30pm and asked when I had last been outside because somewhere in that window, someone - or probably several someones - stole the ELECTRIC MOTOR that opens and closes the gate at the back of our property.
Where we park the cars.
This thing weighs 80 pounds, give or take, so I pretty sure it wasn't a spur of the moment theft. It took tools.
For one thing, the perpetrators cut the chain connecting the motor to the gate. They also snipped the electrical wires - which had the unexpected bonus of cutting power to the shed where the washer, dryer and water heater are - and cut the bolts that held the motor to the ground.
No, these boogers came prepared.
Interestingly enough they didn't bother my car at all, which WAS locked but is not any great fortress even so. It was broad daylight, which might have been a factor. It makes me less trusting of our neighbors which is sad, since we've got a decent relationship with most of them.
Tarzan is taking it kind of hard. He's the great, white, hunter/protector and all that. Invasion of his space isn't something he takes lightly. (Editor's Note: I am instructed to say that he was bothered by it only for an hour give or take and then decided it was funny.) I suspect my reaction will be subtler, subconscious, probably in the form of dreams.
But wait, it gets better.
The best part is, after stealing our motor, leaving bits of metal in the dirt and LIVE WIRES lying around free, the thief(s) CLOSED THE GATE. Sure, steal and pillage but don't forget to close the gate, the cat might get out? Where's the logic there?
We've reported it to law enforcement and have a makeshift lock on the fence but the likelihood of getting the motor back is slim to none. In the meantime we have to get an electrician to come over and reroute power for the shed. And try to forget we've been violated.

This is me and I'm not quite sure how to feel right now.

3 comments:

Elizabeth said...

I am so sorry...the only break in I remember in my entire life was someone trying to break in to my house in California...he thought he was going in the back door, but it really was the door that went directly into my parents room...he quickly learned that wasn't the best point of entry and ran off, but I sure was unsettled for a long time afterwards...I peaked out the window and watched him run away, which means I had the luxury of being questioned by the law enforcement peolples that came by...

This too shall pass...you might want to hire a tall hot bodyguard in the mean time...and then send him my direction if he is single. :)

Rocketgirl said...

Why would they steal the motor?? Please be super safe and know somoene's a-watching you. Let Tarzan go and beat 'em up. He didn't do it much growing up, but he can give a whallop if necessary. Ask Q, he'll tell you :) And good golly, please be safe!!

Tarzan said...

Oh gag I am not taking this hard! I find this whole thing bizarly funny. This is a small, little adventure that we don't have to wait a while to laugh about. Its funny now.

From Whence You Cometh