Thursday, February 11, 2010

Flour Power

I did not think it made much difference what kind of flour I used - in fact, the (multiple) recipe books said enriched white flour would be just fine - but they lied.
They lied all over the place.
After trying a LOT of different combinations of flour, egg, salt, water and oil - those same books all have their own idea of what works best - and getting crumbly, gluey, sticky and tough doughs I almost gave up trying. Bless Tarzan for eating them all, every time, or I would have.
As I was grocery shopping one of these last times - in a market I don't frequent all that often, it being on the other side of town - I passed a display that had semolina flour on sale and I thought, why the heck not try it one more time with the flour the recipes mention first - and then dismiss with the "or enriched white flour" lie.
And can I just say - SO. MUCH. BETTER.
SO. COMPLETELY. ENTIRELY. BETTER.
Suddenly all the "just do" this and "quickly, the dough will clump up and form" myths came true and faster than you can say spaghetti I was rolling out nice, smooth, stretchy pasta dough. Boom.
It is all in the semolina flour baby, and don't let the snarky recipes books tell you otherwise.

This is me and I ate the ravioli this time, that's how much better it was.

From Whence You Cometh