Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Awfully Numb

Nothing like some REALLY bad news to make you feel like a whiny baby for complaining about a few rehearsals and some shopping. There's no good way to tell news like this. Even if I'm only typing it.
Simply, Tarzan's brother and wife were in really bad car accident last night. QC (the brother) is okay. He was thrown from the car and landed in the gravel on the shoulder of the road. He's got 20 stitches in his head and lots of scrapes and bruises and he'll probably ache for days, but he's okay. MQ is not. Massive internal injuries, surgery for hours last night, did not regain consciousness...She died this morning. They have a two year old son, Teaq.
We are, of course, flying out to be with Tarzan's and MQ's families, most of whom live near there. Rocketgirl is coming from the Deep South. M's siblings are coming from where they come from. I've had emails and calls from Tarzan's other siblings and cousins and family. We're asking each other how we are, but I don't think anyone knows. It's so weird really. I don't know how to feel. Stunned for sure. Sad? Of course. I haven't cried yet, though I expect to do some of that before the week's out. I've never known anyone who died before. Well, that's not entirely true. My mother's parents and my father's mother have all passed away in my lifetime. (My dad's father died before I was born.) I wasn't able to go to their funerals though. But grandparents are expected to die. They're old and have lived a long time. This is the first time someone of my generation has died. My first funeral. What should I say? What can one who is family-but-not-quite do? There are people taking care of Teaq, and QC, looking after the cleaning, the phone calls, the funeral arrangements, the meals. I'm at loose ends. I'm trying to do some work here before we go but it's so weird to be normal-like knowing that people I know and love are enduring hard things. I can't imagine what going on without Tarzan would be like. And going on with kids...I don't know what to do other than pray. Tarzan's being stalwart. As the oldest child that's his character. I think it will be hard for him soon though. He was so happy when QC and MQ got married. If two people were ever made for each other they were. I'm so thankful for our faith and the understanding that marriages and relationships go on beyond this life. But the being separated certainly sucks in the meantime. So, that's my plan, such as it is. Be there for Tarzan. That and pray. Hard and often. Pray for QC and for Teaq. For MQ's parents. For her siblings. For QC's parents. For Tarzan and Rocketgirl and PFiddle.

This is me, numb and unsure.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's never easy to loose anyone. I'm often surprised how emotionally attached a person can become over even people they have never met before.

I'm sorry for your family loss.

Lola said...

Dearest Jane, I am so so so sorry for what's happened. I'm a little numb myself, mostly trying to help Reva be strong so she can help Mom be strong. I'll be here when you guys get here. Love, hugs, prayers, faith, all of that-- from us to you.

The Super Seven said...

So sad to read the blog today!!! My heart goes out to the family at this time. How hard it must be for that precious little boy to not understand where his mother is. That is my biggest fear as a mother is leaving my kids behind!!! I hope you travel safe and all else is well with you!!

From Whence You Cometh