Monday, February 23, 2009

Mothering Type

Remember my telling you about how Tarzan's in charge of the Academic Decathlon team and we had them over for dinner once, and I made them muffins for one practice session and all that?
They're calling me "Momma O'Grady" now.
Which is sweet but also a little weird. I dropped some snacks off after school today as I was running errands and they all - ALL - wanted to give me a hug. I'm not the sort who makes friends on the spur of the moment, nor did I ever envision myself with a fan club. What do I do with them now? I hadn't planned on going from childless to teenagers overnight.

This is me, with groupies.

3 comments:

Elizabeth said...

How fun! :) Food goes a LOOOOOONG way with teenagers...

Anonymous said...

Speaking as a professional that deals with teenagers--never, ever, let them hug you. It's just a liability thing in life. Sadly, your kids probably need the hug and appreciate you're looking out for them. If they want reassurance, side to side pat on the backs are okay, shoulder squeeze marginal, high 5's and hand shakes, you can hold their hand or pat their arm but your hand should not actually close on theirs so they can 'escape'.

I'm the legal freak, but I wouldn't want anything "happening".

But I think it's cute. Somehow, getting the kids when they're tougher and not so cute puts having kids in a lot of perspective.

Rocketgirl said...

It's way easier to like adults when they aren't grading you. I thought my teenage students would dig me, but le sigh, I was hated. I may have also screamed at them a lot - it was their fault for expecting me to teach at 7 flipping am!!

And think about it - you are the mothering type. We all made you be the mom over Thanksgiving :)

From Whence You Cometh