Friday, March 16, 2007

Indecent Proposals

Speaking of getting propositioned by architects...The whole office was at lunch today for a birthday of the newest guy and the subject of the celebration was asking about my experience with computers. One of the other architects said in a couple of years he's going to marry me. (I guess to help him out with the computers - I tend to be the one they ask if they need help.) I asked him what his wife would think and he said "Oh, she'd be fine with it, after all you're Mormon. Don't know what we'd do with [Tarzan] though, I guess he could come too."...Wow. So. Much. Wrong. With. That. Statement. He didn't mean it in a nasty way, in fact he's a cute old guy and really nice, so all I could do was laugh.
Then the other day someone was asking about St. Patrick's Day and I mentioned that since it's on Saturday this year we don't have to worry about wearing green or getting pinched at the office, and one of the old(er) guys said "[Jane], you'll always get pinched..." Um, thanks?
Such a strange profession that I picked to be a part of. I wonder what I was thinking? And then I wonder, would I really like another career better? (Other than mother of course - that's a WHOLE different story) Would I rather work in an office with more chicks? No, probably not...Cogent says I'm a misogynist but I don't think I HATE other women. I love my mom, my sisters and my mother and sisters-in-law. I just don't understand most chicks and how and/or why they behave the way they do. (For instance: I call them "chicks.") While I've had one best girl friend at a time, I've never have a female posse. Maybe because I have so many sisters I've never felt the need for one...
In any case there are few professions I would be comfortable in I think, and so even though I gripe and moan about architecture, this might be the best place for me after all. Familiarity breeds contempt and all that.

This is me getting teased.

No comments:

From Whence You Cometh